American Idiot

March 7, 2012
Last night I had the pleasure of attending the opening night of Green Day’s ‘American Idiot’ Broadway Musical here in Denver and I must say what a show!  Loud, provocative, emotional, story-telling, visually stimulating and musically strong are just some of the words I can muster up for the performance.

I was a bit skeptical how the producers were going to take such an amazing post-9/11 CD and translate it into a musical that both, told a story and was visually entertaining.  However, from the moment when the curtain rose, we were hit with the show opening song, ‘American Idiot’ and I was pumped up and smiling.  For the next 90 minutes I was blown away with the cast and bands’ renditions of songs like ’21 Guns’, ‘Wake Me Up When September Ends’ and ‘Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)’ as the encore for the night.  Note: there were some heavy scenes involving drug use, simulated-sex and the travesties of war but it fit within the context of the play. 

I left the theatre with a complete high!  My girlfriend Becca who was my date last night told me this morning that she listened to their CD the whole way into work this morning.  I guess we both got sucked in by the energy of the show. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.

I love hearing from my readers! Please know I try to comment on all posts but if I by chance do not get to yours, know I read every comment and all emails sent my way.

- Jaime