Restaurant Review // Elway's Vail

August 9, 2012
A few months back I visited Vail, CO for the Vail Film Festival and had the pleasure of dining at Elway's in the heart of Vail Village.  To say the meal was decadent is a complete understatement.  

The dinner had highlights like the Elway's Salmon; cooked to a perfect medium and topped with sauteed baby shrimp, sweet lump crab and a silky miso beurre blanc sauce.  Then there was the 22oz Bone In Rib Eye.  I can honestly say, my jaw dropped to the ground when I saw my brother-in-law order a $49 steak but it was honestly THE best steak I have ever had the pleasure of eating (even if it was only a few bites).  The crispy char that blackened the entire perimeter of the steak was off-set by a melt-in-your-mouth medium grilled center that seriously set my taste buds into nirvana.  I cannot imagine ever eating another steak that was butchered, prepared, seasoned, grilled and served so perfectly ever again.  

However, I am getting ahead of myself because the dish that has stayed in the front of my mind for months has been Lamb Chop Fondue.  This dish alone was one of the most compelling reasons to head back to Vail just this past weekend and I was fortunate enough to convince my sister and husband to head over to Elway's again for a pre-dinner drink and snack.  

(Welcome to Elway's)

The weather was beautiful and the Elway's patio was practically begging for us to come pull out a chair and relax under the strung lights and lush greenery surrounding the space.  As soon as we sat down I had a twinkle in my eye and I am pretty sure my heart rate picked up a beat or two as I reminded Ryan of how delicious the Lamb Chop Fondue was during our last visit and how excited I would be to try it again.  Of course he obliged and the order was placed.

(Lamb Chop Fondue)

The Lamb Chop Fondue comes out with immaculate french-boned chops that have been prepared with a dry rub that I only wish I had the list of ingredients so I could replicate myself.  The chops are grilled to medium-rare, allowing for the gaminess to shine.  If they were not perfect on their own, a cast iron pot containing a velvety green chile cheese fondue accompanies the chops to swrill your meat through before you get a dreamy bite of heaven.  There are also Chimayo tortillas and roasted sweet potatoes for an earthy and crunchy balance that I feel are a take-it or leave-it addition to the dish.  And yes, I was the girl in the restaurant who, after I neatly cut off as much meat as I could, then picked up the bone and was gnawing on it to get every morsel of tasty goodness into my mouth... and I could not have been happier!

All in all, I could have taken those chops down on my own and been completely satisfied but sharing with those I love, in such a perfect environment made them just as delicious as they were the first time.  Elways, I might not visit you for dinner on a frequent basis but you will always hold a special place in my heart (and stomach) because your food is just... exquisite.  

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting.

I love hearing from my readers! Please know I try to comment on all posts but if I by chance do not get to yours, know I read every comment and all emails sent my way.

- Jaime