10 Small Ways to Improve Your Kitchen

January 14, 2014
The winter months beg for home cooked meals; slow-cooked soups, roasted dishes and savory stews that warm you up from the inside. I love staying in this time of year and cooking delicious meals while in my pj's. I feel like I test out a lot more recipes in the winter and am constantly making a mess in the process, but hey... that's part of the fun in cooking. 

I recently read a great article on the kitchn that I want to follow a bit closer to help with my kitchen's efficiency. The 10 small ways to improve your kitchen in 2014 had some great tips to stay organized, keep your tools up-to-snuff and maximizing your space. Personally, I have a decent-sized kitchen but with a horrible layout which leaves me with very little counter space and tricky storage (I guess that is part of the charm in my 1922 house). So, I am hoping these tips will calm my nerves the next time I am making an ina garten recipe that calls for chopping, sautéing, boiling and cleaning chicken all at the same time.

(via)

1. Label your pantry jars. When the pantry becomes easier to navigate, so does your life in the kitchen.
2. Reorganize your measuring spoons. If you have more than one set of measuring spoons, don't keep them all piled up together in the drawer divider. Instead, give the teaspoons and tablespoons their own little compartment. 
3. Oil your cutting boards. Considering they're such a major workhorse in the kitchen, it's worth it to take good care of them so they last a long time.
4. Clean your knives properly. Like the cutting boards above, we wouldn't be anywhere without our knives, so it's worth learning the proper way to clean and care for them.
(via)
5. Tiny kitchen? Maximize your counter space. if you find yourself frequently frustrated by your lack of adequate countertop space, there are diy solutions to add space such as cutting board burner covers.
6. Rethink (and maybe redo) your cookware storage. Pots, pans, cookie sheets...they're essential, but they take up a lot of room. If you're not satisfied with your current storage setup, find a new solution. 
7. Light it up! Lighting makes a huge difference. You can install under-cabinet lights or just bring in a swing-arm task lamp if nothing else. 
8. Don't be a refrigerator bag lady. I'm still not perfect, but life in the kitchen is so much better when I open my fridge and see properly washed, prepped, and packaged greens and vegetables. 
9. Buy a fire extinguisher. If you haven't done this, now is the time! 
(via)
10. Pick one thing to prettify. January is a great time to do something a little special for your kitchen such as a big clock to hang over the door, a pretty tea towel, or some nice-smelling dish soap.

Click here to read the full article including links for diys and additional info to get your kitchen ready for your next big meal.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips and photos, Jaime! This reminds me that you had a great idea for my meal planning a few months ago--to get my kids involved. Now that we are moved into our new house, I have finally started it and they LOVE it! You're a genius. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.

I love hearing from my readers! Please know I try to comment on all posts but if I by chance do not get to yours, know I read every comment and all emails sent my way.

- Jaime