Hallway Update

June 6, 2013
I have a small 'L' shaped hallway in my home that leads to a bedroom and our only bathroom for the house.  Since the day we moved in (3 1/2 years ago) I have hated the yellow-brown-baby-poo color of the hall.  Not only was the color bad, it made this space feel even smaller and darker than it already was.

Just like the rest of my home, there is a lot of character in this space; tall baseboards, the original 1922 doors and hardware, a built-in cabinet and a chair rail.  I wanted a color that would show off these details and also add some lightness to the space.  So, I spent my sunday morning painting and I could not be happier with the results.  

(before on left, after on right:  looking into the hall from the kitchen)
 
(from corner of 'L' hallway, closet on the left, bedroom in the middle, bathroom on the right)

(closet, bedroom and bathroom view towards ceiling)

For the color, I chose behr 'vintage linen' paint and primer in one.  I love flat paint so I decided to go with that for the finish.  I also took some great advice from emily a. clark and picked up this brush for all of the cutting-in and trim work.  This brush was amazing!  I did not have to tape any of the trim work... best $5 I have spent in a long time.  

(close-up of closet and bedroom doors with the original glass doorknobs)

(view from corner of 'L' hallway, there is another hallway closets to the kitchen on the left.  lots of storage in this little hall)

(view from bathroom towards the kitchen and living space)

I do need to do a couple of touch-ups and also repaint the trim to really finish off the space but I love the before and after.  What a huge difference this lighter linen color makes in the hallway.  I am toying with the idea of taking down the framed family photo and putting up a gallery wall but that might be a bit down the road.  Until then, I am just enjoying the change.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting.

I love hearing from my readers! Please know I try to comment on all posts but if I by chance do not get to yours, know I read every comment and all emails sent my way.

- Jaime